Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cocktail Calories - What's In Your Drink?





Alright, so maybe you're not like me. Maybe you don't care how what you are drinking affects your waistline. Let me start over. I never USED to care about the caloric intake of my drinks until I hit my thirties, but now I can understand why companies like Skinny Girl are making a killing in the alcoholic beverage industry. New companies like Voli Vodka also promise a lower calorie count, but essentially the alcohol content is lower and that part they don't market. However, if that's what keeps Fergie looking that thin - then pass one over!

I mean, who wouldn't want enjoy a tasty cocktail with a few less calories (as long as it keeps its flavor and integrity)? Well, regardless of which way you swing, here are some sipping statistics on cocktail calories from a recent article by Prevention magazine.




Bloody Mary: 1.5 oz of vodka and some added Bloody Mary mix will hit you with 120 calories (not to mention a higher sodium content).

Cosmo: 1.5 oz of vodka, 0.75 oz of Triple Sec, plus some cranberry juice and lime will cost you about 200 calories.




Margarita: 1.4 oz tequila, 0.7 oz Cointreau, sweet and sour and lime will set you back 155 calories, and if you order Cadillac style, the numbers go up.

Martini: 1.5 oz of gin and 0.5 oz of dry vermouth costs a mere 119calories (not including those glorious olives) and the dirtier you make it, the deeper you're in.



Red Wine: A single 5 oz glass of red wine is 125 calories. Why, why?! I can't say no to Pinot.

White Wine: 5 oz of white wine comes in 2nd to red with a mere 121calories - only 4 calories less!


At the end of the day, I'm probably not going to drastically change my drinking routine and go all "Weight Watchers" about it, but at least I know now. I love my wine too much to part ways and until someone can exactly replicate a glass of Far Niente Chardonay sans the extra calories, my glass stays full.


Cheers,

Maren







No comments:

Post a Comment