Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mezze - Happy Hour


Dear Love,




After an unplanned hiatus from one of my happy hour pals and text tagging for months, it was time to reconvene at a nearby hh joint and catch up. We are always trying to find a walking distance location from my place, so we chose to hit up Mezze on La Cienega. Mezze is a modern Mediterranean restaurant that I had been dying to stop in a try for a while. The mustard colored building pops with color, and once you enter, you will notice bulbous glass fixtures along the wall housed with various herbs and dried goodies (hops, perhaps?) Adjacent to the hostess stand is a cozy little bar area lined with dark wood high tops and a bar laced with fresh ingredients and ink droppers. Ok, they must take their mixology seriously.

Once we were seated, I visually panned the airy, olive scented dining room. What an experience; open air seating over-looking the street on one side and a huge view of the kitchen on the other, with executive chef Micah Wexler hard at work on the line. The hostess greeted our table and offered us complimentary still or sparkling water. Nice touch. The happy hour menu was small and unique – not your normal array off hh plates. The drinks were half off (craft beer, wine and specialty cocktails) but most of the food items were basically taken from the regular menu and placed on the hh menu.


We dove right into ordering drinks, beginning with the Inception Pinot Noir for my friend ($6) and I with the “Johnny’s Zombie” ($6) made with light and dark rum, apricot liqueur, pineapple and citrus. My cocktail was served in a handcrafted cup that looked like it came straight off the set ofHawaii Five-O. I sipped my drink from a silver bar spoon/stirrer. The flavors were tropical and slightly tangy. I could have had more, but I decided to pair the hh Chardonnay with the dishes we had ordered.


My friend tried to start with the Kleinfeld Sandwich, but we were told that was no longer available so we opted for the f ($15), brisket shawarma ($8) and the risotto ($14, as recommended by our server from the regular menu). The shawarma was served with braised brisket, pickles and a crunchy slaw type condiment; both sandwiches were housed between the perfect amount of bread and were a great start. Next, we devoured the Flatbread. The dough was light, cripsy and warm. Fresh, thin slices of summer squash along with heaps of ricotta melted in our mouths. Also we experienced a subtle spice, which was a pleasant surprise. The risotto arrived in a wide-rimmed bowl and was sprinkled with sliced almonds and a rustic lemon garnish. Nestled inside I found meaty portions of lamb, onions and a cornucopia of different spices and flavors. I praised our server, and then I savored every single bite of it. It was so good, in fact that I continued to fantasize about that risotto all night.


Mezze's happy hour wasn’t exactly light on our wallets, but the food and drinks made up for it. My only wish is that our server had mentioned it was last call for the hh (I was so busy catching up with my friend that I forgot about the time). I will be back, and now that they offer a late night happy hour, I’m even happier.


XXOO,


Maren




Happy Hour Breakdown:
Everyday, 6pm - 7:30pm; Friday & Saturday (Late Night), 11pm - 1am
1/2 Off Select Craft Beer, Wine & Specialty Cocktails,
Reduced Priced Bar Bites


Mezze
401 North La Cienega Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90048
(310) 657-4103




Lovehappyhour.com - LA's Premiere Happy Hour Search Site Featuring Over 1,000 Happy Hours Within 50 Cities in Los Angeles County

No comments:

Post a Comment